This report demonstrates that male advantage is a pervasive feature of the Australian music
Using publicly available published data the report interrogates the industry dynamics that have
produced a contemporary music scene in which radio playlists, festival line-ups, industry awards,
peak bodies and major industry boards are dominated by male contributions and voices.
We make 5 key recommendations, discussed in more detail in the report, to begin the process of
addressing the industry’s chronic gender inequality:
1. Collect more and better data on the music industry on a gender disaggregated basis;
2. Establish a well-resourced independent gender equality industry advocacy body;
3. Use gender equality criteria in deciding public funding outcomes;
4. Increase women’s representation in decision-making structures;
5. Address gender bias in the Australian music industry by prioritising inclusivity and
representation as core industry values (for example through funding and implementing
The music industry is skipping a beat when it comes to gender equality. We hope that our
report will stimulate industry thinking and action for change.