Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Individual animal tests for ovine Johne's disease.|
|Authors:||Reddacliff, L. A|
Whittington, R. J
|Keywords:||Ovine Johne’s Disease|
|Publisher:||Meat and Livestock Australia Ltd|
|Citation:||North Sydney, NSW|
|Abstract:||Routine diagnostic tests for ovine paratuberculosis have poor sensitivity in the early stages of the disease, and transmission often occurs before detection. Currently there are no tests to accurately confirm early infection in individual sheep. Such tests are required to provide trading opportunities for producers who may have valuable stock at low risk of infection. Surgical biopsy is one means of disease detection using relatively sensitive laboratory procedures, but was unproven. 77 sheep grazing on a heavily infected farm were examined at 12, 18 and 24 months of age by histopathology and culture of biopsied ileum and mesenteric lymph nodes. Results from biopsy were compared to those from routine tests (ELISA, AGID, IFN-γ, skin testing, faecal culture and direct PCR) applied at six-monthly intervals, and to necropsy findings at three years of age. A total of 170 biopsies were performed without serious complications, and the samples collected were adequate for culture and histological assessment of paratuberculosis. Overall, 36% of sheep were shown to be uninfected at 3 years of age. Of these, 16 were uninfected at all sampling times and 11 sheep had recovered. (ie. They had been infected at an earlier sampling.) The remaining 64% of sheep were classified at necropsy as infected. Biopsy was consistently the most sensitive nonlethal technique for identification of infected sheep, although even at 36 months it detected only 2/3 of infected sheep. It may be useful as an additional tool in the management for individual valuable sheep from infected stud flocks.|
|Description:||This work has been digitally archived on behalf of Meat & Livestock Australia Limited by the Sydney eScholarship Repository at the University of Sydney Library.|
|Rights and Permissions:||Copyright Meat & Livestock Australia Limited|
|Type of Work:||Technical Report|
|Appears in Collections:||Ovine Johne’s Disease Research & Development Program|
This work is protected by Copyright. All rights reserved. Access to this work is provided for the purposes of personal research and study. Except where permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this work must not be copied or communicated to others without the express permission of the copyright owner. Use the persistent URI in this record to enable others to access this work.
|OJD.020 Final report.pdf||417.67 kB||Adobe PDF||View/Open|
Items in Sydney eScholarship Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.