This is the digital archive of Rare Books and Special Collections, University of Sydney Library. Digital copies of selected items have been placed in this repository for archival reasons and to facilitate access to fragile materials.
Originals are available in the Rare Books and Special Collections Library, Level 2 Fisher Library, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm.
Contact: (02) 9351 2992,
Digital copies have been scanned, unless stated otherwise, at 600 dpi in tiff format.
These digital images are copyright and may not be reproduced without permission of the University of Sydney Library.
- Treasures include manuscripts, early printed books, bibles, scientific works and modern works.
- Rare Books collection contains early printed books from the late 15th century to 1801, including early Australian publications.
- Special Collections are formed collections covering specific subject areas, including collections that were formerly private libraries or collections formed by individuals before being acquired by Rare Books and Special Collections.
- Manuscript Collections are collections of personal papers, correspondence and Australian literary manuscripts and include photographs and realia.
- Literary Prizes are winning entries in annual competitions for original composition in areas such as English, Latin, Australian History, Law, Classics, Government and Music, for example Wentworth Medal essays.
Other than for the purposes of and subject to the conditions prescribed under the Copyright Act, items may not in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, microcopying, photocopying, recording or otherwise) be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted without prior written permission from the University of Sydney Library and/or the appropriate author.